" />
Home > Dog Health > Tips for Avoiding Dangerous Dog Toys

Tips for Avoiding Dangerous Dog Toys

December 3rd, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

Some Dog Toys Are Can Be Hazardous to Your Dog’s Health

Although it is important to provide your dog with adequate exercise and stimulation through play, there are some popular types of dog toys that you should either supervise very closely or avoid altogether.

Tennis Balls Do Not Make Good Dog Toys

Tennis Balls Do Not Make Good Dog Toys

Tennis Balls Do Not Make Good Dog Toys

Dogs love tennis balls.  They bounce.  They are somewhat chewy.  They can be catchable.  But tennis balls are bad news for dogs.  Smaller tennis balls, like any small toy or ball, can be a choking hazard for big dogs.

Additionally, some veterinarians say that the nylon fuzz on tennis balls is too abrasive for dog’s teeth and can wear down the tooth enamel leading to potentially painful and expensive dental problems down the road.

Moreover, tennis balls can be chewed apart and the pieces swallowed, creating a risk of choking or intestinal blockage, either of which could be deadly.

Any Dog Toy That Is Too Small for the Dog or That Has Small Pieces

Small toys that can fit entirely into the dog’s mouth can create a choking hazard for your dog.  That may seem like a no-brainer, but if you have several dogs of different sizes–say a Chihuahua and a Boxer in the same household–you need to think about keeping toys around that are safe for all the dogs.  If you keep tiny toys around for your tiny dog, be very careful to keep the small toys away from the bigger dogs in the household.

Prior to purchase, it is important to inspect any dog toys for small parts that could fall off or be chewed off and swallowed.  If a dog toy poses a choking hazard for children under the age of three, it is also not safe for your dog.

Stuffed Squeaky Dog Toys May Be Hazardous

Squeaky Dog Toys Can Be Fun, But They Require Diligent Supervision

Squeaky Dog Toys Can Be Fun, But They Require Diligent Supervision

Stuffed toys with a squeaky mechanism inside are very popular, and dogs do love to bite them and make them squeal.  But stuffed toys are easily chewed apart by rambunctious dogs.  Once the toy has developed a hole or two, the stuffing can end up all over the place and both the stuffing and the squeaky mechanism can be pose choking hazards.  If swallowed, they can cause potentially deadly intestinal blockage.  Any play with stuffed squeaky dog toys should be closely monitored at all times.  It can take only a moment for a determined dog to rip up the toy and swallow the insides.

Rawhide Chews

Rawhide chews for dogs are very popular, but they present a couple of potential dangers to your dog’s health.  First, if larger pieces break off during chewing, the dog could try to swallow them whole.  Large pieces of rawhide pose a real threat of choking or intestinal blockage if swallowed.  Carefully supervise your dog as she enjoys her rawhide chew, and be ready to retrieve pieces that break off.  When the chew gets small enough to be swallowed whole, take it away from the dog to prevent swallowing.

Second, rawhide chews manufactured in some countries outside the United States may not be safe for your dog at all.  As this dog owner’s experience demonstrates, rawhides manufactured outside the U.S. may contain salmonella bacteria, arsenic, lead and pesticides.  Health problems from rawhide chews may include sore throat, choking, intestinal blockage and acute pancreatitis.  So, if you are going to use rawhide chews, make sure you purchase them from a trusted manufacturer.

Post to Twitter

Categories: Dog Health
  1. December 3rd, 2009 at 10:53 | #1

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I will now be following yours! Very good info!
    .-= Gloria Hood´s last blog ..My Hiding Place =-.

  2. Suzanne
    December 3rd, 2009 at 11:22 | #2

    Thanks, Gloria! Good to see you here. Have a great day!

  3. December 5th, 2009 at 06:53 | #3

    Rawhide? never give them. I feed raw food and raw bones. Rawhide is very dangerous. there is a pressed flat rawhide (vets provide). it’s flat so when broken apart not so easily bulked in tummies. I still rather feed raw bones. they are soft, they break down very nicely and are not dangerous. Cooked bones are very dangerous and become sharp. But raw bones, are almost like chalk (when you see them the next day in the poo.) Even if you don’t feed your dog raw food, a raw bone once/week is the best teeth cleaning tool I’ve ever used. My sibe came to us at 1 year old with BROWN teeth. I feed kibble a year and rawhids/bullies…teeth still brown. Made the leap and switched to RAW food and 1 RAW bone week. her teeth are now almost pearly white. Once you feed raw, it’s hard to go back!
    .-= Wild Dingo´s last blog ..French Friday =-.

  4. December 20th, 2009 at 21:47 | #4

    raw bones for dogs are really okay =)
    .-= Gabby – do health problems´s last blog ..Two Common Symptoms Of Dog Skin Problems =-.

  5. February 11th, 2015 at 13:57 | #5

    Depending on the size of your dog, the level of his activity (also read as naughtiness) and the time amount of time you have to supervise your dogs activity should be the basis on the kind of toy that you should get. Common sense should tell you not to get small toys if your dog have a big mouth. Here are tips when buying toys for your dog.

    http://www.dogsilove.com/tips-to-buying-safe-dog-toys/

  6. May 8th, 2017 at 11:14 | #6

    I have to voice my passion for your kindness giving support to those people that should have guidance on this important matter.
    Kevin Davies´s last blog post ..Best Bark Collar in 2017 – Buyer’s Guide w/ Ratings & Reviews

  1. December 10th, 2009 at 15:28 | #1

CommentLuv badge